ICPA Qld lobbies to ensure that Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is utilised to the best possible advantage for geographically isolated students.
In 2022 the Communications Portfolio will focus on issues including:
- monitoring the implementation of a fibre rollout/upgrade program for most schools over the next five years;
- continuing to work with the Department of Education Information Technology Branch to ensure rural and remote schools have the technological infrastructure to support the proposed updates; and
- monitoring the effectiveness of the new digital learning platform (Canvas) which is replacing Blackboard and ensuring it meets the needs of rural and remote students studying via Distance Education.
Do you wonder how ICPA Qld assists you with your communications issues?
• ICPA advises the Department of Education (DoE), Telstra, and NBN on issues that impact the delivery of quality internet and voice services to our small schools and distance education classrooms.
• ICPA participates in monthly teleconferences with the DoE IT department on current issues.
• ICPA meets regularly with other key DoE branches in regards to Infrastructure, Schools, Curriculum, Human Resources, and Operations.
• ICPA provides members with up to date technical information to assist with connectivity.
• ICPA works with nbnco™ to provide members with the latest news.
• ICPA works with Telstra to provide members with the latest news.
• ICPA makes submissions to relevant groups to ensure rural and remote education remains a key consideration in legislative or program change.
• ICPA remains a key stakeholder in various communications groups— including the Telstra Regional Advisory Council (TRAC).
• ICPA liaises with, and supports, ICPA Australia with federal communications issues.
Useful links and resources
BIRRR (Better Internet for Rural, Regional & Remote Australia) - Here you will find information about the frequently confusing topic of broadband services in rural Australia. BIRRR has created this ‘one-stop shop’ for relevant information and links related to the topic.
Regional Tech Hub - The Regional Tech Hub offers independent advice and support and helps regional Australians navigate often confusing phone and internet options and technical issues.
nbn Co - nbn Co was established in 2009 to design, build and operate Australia’s wholesale broadband access network. Underpinned by a purpose to connect Australia and bridge the digital divide, nbn’s key objective is to ensure all Australians have access to fast broadband as soon as possible, at affordable prices, and at least cost.
Regional Landing Page provides further information relevant to regional and remote areas.
Branches are welcome to make contact if they would like nbn representatives to attend meetings either face to face or virtually. They can cover a range of topics and can tailor presentations to suit specific branch interests or requests.
Southern Qld - Kristen Coggan E: email@example.com
North and Far North Qld - Louise Barnes E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Qld - Emma Murphy E: email@example.com
Wide Bay/Burnett & Surrounds - Karen Shipp E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Satellite Skymuster + Providers can be found here.
The ideal contact initially for anyone with service questions is through the Team Telstra emails. For general enquiries which are not service related, you can get in touch with the relevant person for your area.
Southern Qld - email@example.com
- May Boisen (Regional General Manager) E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Mullaly (Regional Engagement Manager - Darling Downs/South West Qld) E: email@example.com
- Matt Thornton (Regional Engagement Manager - Wide Bay Burnett) E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Brand (Regional Experience Specialist) E: email@example.com
Northern Qld - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rachel Cliffe (Regional General Manager) E: email@example.com
- Josie Pickering (Regional Engagement Manager - North & North West Qld/Far North Qld) E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Dwan (Regional Engagement Manager - Central Qld/Central West Qld) E: email@example.com
- Roger Dewar (Regional Experience Specialist) E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful links for Communications
A list of links to assist with troubleshooting and fact-finding for all things comms related!view
Telstra Fault Reporting
Information provided by Telstra to report a fault or issue with your Telstra service.view
Communications Motions presented to State Conference
Communications motions from the past three State Conferences are available on this page.view
Communications Information Flyer
This flyer provides you with information regarding what this portfolio does for members - please feel free to download and share with your branch or community.view