ICPA Qld lobby to ensure the delivery of the best possible educational service to students who do not have daily face to face contact with their teacher.
In 2022 the Distance Education portfolio will focus on issues including:
- ensuring that geographically isolated students remain a priority at Schools of Distance Education;
- the Dept of Education commitment to improve safety and upgrades at onsite accommodation continues to progress in a timely manner; and
- that face-to-face activities such as mini-schools, outreaches and property clusters continue as they have previously .
The Qld Department of Education provides distance education services through seven Schools of Distance Education (SDE). These schools were established to provide a schooling service to geographically isolated and other home-based students with limited educational choices.
Additionally, SDE's provide services to enhance learning opportunities by offering wider subject choice for mainstream school students and provide a service for by choice home-based learners and students in a range of alternative education centres.
Qld State Schools of Distance Education (SDEs)
Mt Isa School of the Air (MISOTA)
Qld Private Distance Education Schools
As a family educating your children through Distance Education there are allowances to assist with the costs associated. Information on these allowances and others can be found here or on the Department of Education's website.
Schools Of Distance Education – Loan Hire Scheme
The Loan Hire Scheme is now available at participating Schools of Distance Education throughout Queensland. This is an opt-in scheme available to K-12 geographically isolated students. Families can supplement the computer and broadband subsidies by hiring a laptop device from their SDE. The scheme provides the laptop device, backpack carry bag, mouse, and all relevant software. The benefits of hiring a laptop device through the Loan Hire Scheme include:
• The laptop device comes with all relevant software pre-installed;
• The device is fully supported by SDE technicians, who will receive priority service from the DET service centre;
• In the event the device needs repairs, a replacement will be sent immediately to ensure continuity;
• The device is replaced every 3 years.
Members are advised to contact their SDE if they would like more information around the scheme.
ICPA Qld Distance Education Portfolio Report 2022 is available for your perusal. You may also read the Distance Education Portfolio Policy when considering motions for your branch for State Conference.
You may also be interested in recent research conducted by USQ and AGILE into the role of Home Tutors within Distance Education. The first research paper can be accessed here.
Distance Education Motions presented to State Conference
Distance Education motions from the past three State Conferences are available on this page.view
Distance Education Information Flyer
This flyer provides you with information regarding what this portfolio does for members - please feel free to download and share with your branch or community.view