As a tertiary student you may be eligible for Government assistance to help with the costs of undertaking your chosen Higher Education course including Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY and the Relocation Scholarship. Information including eligibility and application can be found at the below links.
The Federal Allowances 2022 for Rural and Remote Students is an all in one document for students wishing to access financial assistance from boarding right through to tertiary.
Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) - APPLY NOW !!
The Tertiary Access Payment is a one-off, means tested (parental income under $250,000) payment for inner regional, outer regional, remote or very remote students commencing tertiary study in the year following year 12, of up to $5000, to assist with the cost of relocation – start-up expenses, cost of living, direct costs of education or training and the cost of travelling home in semester breaks.
Visit here for full details on the Tertiary Access Payment including application.
- An inner regional, outer regional, remote or very remote school-leaver AND
- Relocating at least 90 minutes from your regional or remote family home by public transport to commence a higher-level tertiary education AND
- Studying a full-time university course, a Vocational Education and Training (VET) course or other higher education course (Certificate IV or above) AND
- Commencing study in the year immediately following completion of year 12 or equivalent
If you are eligible, you can claim the Tertiary Access Payment from 1 January in your first year of tertiary study.
All applicants apply through Services Australia. Application details available here.
Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Students and trainees – payments and services for students, trainees and Australian apprentices
Payment and Service Finder
An online tool to find, estimate and compare payments, and locate services
- Youth Allowance Overview - The Youth Allowance Overview document aims to summarise the lengthy Youth Allowance website. This information relates to rural and remote students planning to study full time and who intend to apply for Youth Allowance. It is a guide only.
ICPA (Aust) would like to thank Services Australia and the Department of Social Services for their invaluable assistance with clarification of information for this document. This document is updated January each year.
- Youth and Student Phone Number
132490 Monday to Friday 8.00am to 5.00pm
Use this phone number for help and information with payments for students, trainees and job seekers under 22.
- Relocation Scholarships – Available for eligible higher education students on Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY and need to move to or from a regional or remote area for higher education study.
- Rent Assistance – Assistance for payment of rent for eligible higher education students
- Fares Allowance – Travel allowance available to eligible higher education students to help with travel costs between a student’s permanent home and place of tertiary study.
- Student Start-up Loan – a voluntary loan available to eligible higher education students
- Gap Year Students Applying for Youth Allowance and COVID-19
Interim provisions to the criteria have been implemented for young people who had a working gap year in 2021 with the aim of demonstrating independence for Youth Allowance (student) and ABSTUDY and may have been affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19.
A temporary pathway for young people planning on taking a working gap year in 2021, who earn at least $15,000 through agricultural work during the period 30 November 2020 and 31 December 2021 will be considered independent for Youth Allowance (student) and ABSTUDY.
Criteria and further information:
Services Australia - part time work or earnings for rural and remote students
A group of payments for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students or apprentices
- ABSTUDY phone number 1800 132 317 Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
Reintroduction of the HECS-HELP Upfront Payment Discount
From 1 January 2021 the HECS-HELP upfront payment discount can be claimed. This discount provides an incentive for students to pay their student contribution either partially or fully and receive a 10% discount providing the payment is $500 or more. More information can be read here.